Site Translator

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

If ... Then ...

Sometimes it's hard to place a neatly defined label on our frame of thinking these days and - if you know me - you know I'm one of those uber-organized Martha people who's greatly comforted when my days follow a categorical order. Yes, I have the notebooks, the files and the folders ... geek that I am! What I don't have are some significant and defining puzzle pieces that will determine some of our next steps. Oh, they're out there waiting for us, but how they fit into the grand plan hinges on a couple of key factors.

The whale of a piece right now is Chop's pending full-time activation with his Navy Reserve unit - possibly much earlier than expected - and we should have some answers in the next week. Quite honestly, our hopes are that this mobility order does happen ... and happens sooner rather than later. Two reasons: One (1). Chop has become more and more frustrated with his job everyday. It simply wouldn't break his heart at all to exit the arena for a few months ... or a year. I can assure you, I'd be just as happy if it would allow him the opportunity to pursue something he really loves. (2). The mobility would provide Chop the training and experience he needs to help oversee a rather critical inspection his unit is facing next year. Chop is fairly new with this unit. He's also like me: he thrives in preparedness. Every weekend that he heads out to drill is another weekend that he comes home energized and excited about his work. The more opportunity he has to train over the next year, the better for him - professionally and personally - the better support he can be for his Naval superiors, and the better leadership he can provide for his battalion. Now, before I am accused of being all pie-in-the-sky, I sincerely believe what I just stated. However, I wish I could honestly say that Chop's desire to mobilize was out of pure respect for Uncle Sam and not partially driven by the barrage of negativity he endures from nine-to-five. It's a sad day when one realizes he'd rather spend some time in the desert than to snorkel another day with the corporate barracudas.

But what about Key West?!

Here's the scoop. Chop would have at least 60 days notice before mobilizing, and word has it that it may still take another month or two before final decisions are even made. If Chop's orders place him on active duty for 6-12 months, he would still be local enough - at least for awhile - to come home on the weekends, we'd still be able to prep the house for sale, and I would still be able to fulfill some community obligations I have on my own plate. If this does indeed take place, he likely wouldn't come off orders until next summer ... only to turn around and deploy again in rotation as originally anticipated. That window in the middle would be our move date - provided my teaching position is secure (fingers crossed here!). Though he'd like to know that his current job is safe - and it is indeed federally protected - his heart clearly wouldn't be intent on returning to anywhere else other than Key West.

In the meantime, we hang tight for the final word. Chop's en route to the base as I write. He has a full week of training and, by the end of it, we should have some confirmation one way or another. In a way, I'm glad for the complementary drama. After all, this would be an awfully boring story if it were all too easy, don't you think?






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment below. I welcome your thoughts, questions, and feedback. Please remember, this is a family-friendly blog. Keep it positive; keep it clean. Thank you!