Site Translator

Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Covert Operation 5.16.2010

The past week's dinner conversations have been more colorful, lively and entertaining than the two of us can remember having with only a single bottle of wine ... in a very long time! One thing we agreed upon quickly and firmly is that our plans - for the time being - would be best kept to ourselves. Frankly, there is too much at stake with too many family members who would understandably worry over our intentions. Chop and I tend to have a great appreciation for adventure, probably me even more than him, but supposedly mature adults are supposed to settle into the jobs, the house, the kids, the yard, et cetera with an orderly appreciation for all the successes we've achieved, yes?

Really?

So, why is it that I spend so much time worrying about Chop's steadily increasing blood pressure, or fretting over yet another doctor's visit for another new ailment. My husband is in his mid-30s, a regular at the gym, and we both actually like fish and salads. Yet, I have these horrible images of him being rushed to the hospital for heart palpitations while his boss follows after him with another oh-so-terribly important memo. Let me be clear, we are comfortable but not wealthy, we live in an adorable house that was built in 1949, and we mow our own lawn. But Chop finally said to me a few months ago, "Baby, now I get it. Now I understand why the $ is not always worth the stress at the end of the day." Hmmm.

I am incredibly fortunate to be a stay-at-home mom with our young son right now. In my former life (ha!), I was a military officer, a school teacher, an adjunct college professor, and a corporate trainer. All of those things I've loved. One of those professions keeps calling me back ~ teaching. It's been 10 years, graduate school, a military retirement, and a baby son later, and I still feel the overwhelming pull back to the classroom. Always have, but always redirected. In this same conversation he and I discussed about money and careers I had a revelation. Teaching 3rd and 4th graders netted me the smallest paycheck in that list, yet every day that I taught was another day that I felt very proud to be a teacher. Now, anyone who is a teacher, knows a teacher, or volunteers in a school will tell easily tell you that it is not an easy job, and it's a job that can have as many frustrations as rewards. But ... my whole point to Chop was that the biggest paychecks really don't always mean a thing at the end of the day. When I left that classroom, I felt the standard cliche, "I made a difference for someone today." When Chop leaves his office, well .. you know the routine.

So, what the does this have to do with Key West??

Three letters: J-O-B ... four if you make that plural!

Our original discussions merely a week ago included a lot of chatter about one of us working as a civilian contractor for NAS Key West in an "anchor" position while the other supplements our income with some odd jobs around town.  Neither one of us minds work, we're both military-connected, and we don't have any reason to turn down a good experience. I grew up in a restaurant; I'd happily wait tables if that's what it took! Chop is also a Navy Reserve Officer, and his unit is slotted for deployment at some point in 2011, a mobilization that likely would take him away for 12-18 months if activated.  The timing could work, and the idea of living within an active military community again appealed to us both.  The security, the camaraderie ... it's something special.  However, that conversation I had with Chop about teaching kept coming back to me. Finally, like a dumb ass who finally saw the light, the most obvious job solution slapped me in the face. "Duh, why don't you start teaching again??" How did I miss that?

In a matter of one week, we now have my job plan. I want to teach in Key West!! My fires are lit, my brain is spinning, and all I want to do is get back into that classroom like a first year teacher fresh out of college. I've been all over the web, all over the Monroe County School Board site, and all over the phone talking, researching, taking notes and making some wonderful new contacts. We're still a year out from our target date, and I wouldn't be looking for a teaching job until the 2011-2012 school year, but that should give me plenty of time to get my ducks in a row. I've maintained my Florida teaching certification for grades 1-6, have an M.A. in History and retired from the Air Force 3-1/2 years ago. Now, the million dollar question: Will anyone hire an excited and confident newbie in Key West?

Next step? I'd better get crack-a-lackin' in that resume! In the meantime, let's not worry my mom about her well-degree'd daughter seriously considering waiting on tables again. Truth be told ... I always loved waiting tables! ;D










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment below. I welcome your thoughts, questions, and feedback. Please remember, this is a family-friendly blog. Keep it positive; keep it clean. Thank you!