Site Translator

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cry Me a River

Today is my pity party day.  Mine.  All mine and just for today.  Sigsbee posted its new teacher hires for the next school year, and I wasn't invited.  No interview, no feedback, nary a peep.  No one adored my resume, and apparently I am not worthy.  I didn't even rate a courtesy reject notice.  Nothin'.

So here I sit, the overachiever accustomed to surpassing even my simplest of goals (while not typically being so pompously boorish!), wiping the pie of life from my crinkled brow.  Wow, what a kick in the ass!  Yup, cry me a river ... I knooowww.  I can feel all of your loving bear hugs wrapped tightly around me right now.  Oh, what?  Really?  Those are suck-it-up-pick-yourself-off-the-floor-girl-and-keep-on-moving slaps I'm feeling?  Whoops, my bad!

Now to be fair, I knew wholeheartedly I was attempting to resume a career I shelved 11 years ago.  I knew that this school's primary curriculum is based on an environmental science platform (slightly unrelated to my training as an historian, mind you).  And I knew that I was attempting to secure a position without a local Key West address - usually an "are you kidding me?" challenge in and of itself.  But ... I'm a greeaaaaat teacher!  Parent-approved!  Don't they know this?

So one door now closes, and perhaps it's temporarily for the best.  I think it was Alexander Graham Bell who said, "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."  I like AGB, and I think he was a wise man.  Though I might spend the rest of today nursing a pint of whoa-is-me flavored ice cream - or a martini, I haven't decided yet - I most definitely will move forward with my own list of equally tempting prospects.  With little one starting preschool in August, and my island days will be wide open for new opportunities.  Now, that's something to celebrate! 

At least tomorrow anyway.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment below. I welcome your thoughts, questions, and feedback. Please remember, this is a family-friendly blog. Keep it positive; keep it clean. Thank you!